The Wellington West Business Improvement Area is seeking a highly organized, tech-savvy, people person with a passion for their local community, who is looking for a fast-paced job and likes the idea of meeting and working with hundreds of local businesses and community leaders.
This position is a 7-8-month contract, lasting until the end of 2018. You’ll work between 25-37.5 hours per week (depending on the skills and interests you bring to the table), and while this is an entry-level contract for the moment, the right candidate could help us evolve toward a permanent position starting in 2019.
You will gain experience with:
- Office coordination: you’ll help us organize and run our office calendaring, event-promotion, file management, member directory, and customer relations systems.
- Event management: you'll have fun and work hard helping us run lots of small events, receptions, promotions, and consultations, as well as being a key organizing force behind our signature annual event TASTE of Wellington West in September.
- Member communication: you'll build a vast network of contacts as a front-line resource for our 533 member shops, restaurants, and offices. You'll greet them when they visit, field e-mail or phone questions, and work with them to collect information and coordinate projects.
- Budget & finance: you'll gain insight into all aspects of how we track our budget, manage grants, process invoices, and deal with a range of suppliers from creative agencies to landscapers.
- Urban planning & local government: you’ll be involved with dozens of partnerships, projects, and consultations, and you’ll get to know intimately how the City of Ottawa works.
Qualifications and skills that will impress us:
- A university degree with a strong track record of work or volunteering in similar positions.
- Deep knowledge of the Hintonburg and Wellington Village neighbourhoods would be very helpful.
- Excellent writing and grammar skills are absolutely required. But additional journalism, marketing, design, Web site, and/or social media skills will definitely be a bonus.
- Bilingual skills are helpful (but note that we do operate mainly in English).