We’re hiring a Communications Officer
Please help us find our next great BIA staff member! We’re looking for a great writer to develop web content and features, manage our social content calendar, and publish our email newsletters! You’ll find the job posting below!
Send cover letter and résumé
before 5 p.m. on November 22!
Full time, permanent position with benefits!
We’re looking for a multi-talented communicator with stellar writing skills, a solid grasp of social media and content marketing, and at least four years of experience in similar roles to serve as our new Communications Officer.
Driven by our members, the more than 600 merchants, makers, chefs, and entrepreneurs of Hintonburg and Wellington Village, we’re on a mission to build Ottawa’s most welcoming, dynamic “community of communities” around our shared public mainstreet. So, we’ve got a lot of stories to tell!
That’s why we need a smart, well-organized pro with serious writing chops to help us improve the communications between our small office team and all the audiences we serve.
If that sounds like you, please apply now!
What we’re offering:
- Position: full time, permanent.
- Salary: $47,500 – $55,000 /a. (commensurate with experience)
- Benefits plan: Full benefits – dental, medical, optical, life.
- Vacation: 3 weeks total paid vacation (2 regular weeks plus 1 bonus week over December Holidays).
What you’ll help us build:
- Truly great content: It all starts with a clear, unique brand voice and solid writing. You’ll be our lead writer and story-farmer, finding the unique facts, places, and characters all around us in this amazing place, defining our brand personality through the style of your written work.
- Content marketing strategy: We also need your help building our story-telling system over time. So you’ll work with a network of team-mates, agencies, and committees, to attract our target key customers, amplify our posts, and measure success across all our platforms.
- Website content management: You’ll be the one making sure the wellingtonwest.ca web site is useful for our audiences and well-stocked with new features and the right information for our customers and members.
- Member outreach: With more than 600 shops, restaurants, offices, and services, you’ll help us build our member directory and e-mail news lists, while also nurturing face-to-face relationships among our restaurants and shops to help us promote programs and share news.
- Public relations coordination: You’ll help us craft media outreach plans and materials, and serve as a key liaison for reporters seeking local merchant interviews and insights on current events.
- Internal communication: You’ll be a key point of contact for keeping our membership, Board, and committees, and community partners up to speed on about BIA programs and developments.
- Event promotions: you’ll work with our event management team to craft messages and coordinate resources for dozens of events every year, as well as our signature TASTE of Wellington West in September.
- Support for BIA Operations: as part of our small BIA office team, you’ll also chip in on member services, research on issues of concern to members, and responding to inquiries and requests.
Things you should know:
- Self-motivation and confidence are key: We need a people person with a positive attitude, eager to take the lead on our content strategy goals, willing to work collaboratively, and with an eye to not just delivering great work, but coaching and improving the systems over time.
- It’s an evolving role: You’re the first person with this title, so there won’t be a pre-defined “task list”. We need your entrepreneurial skills, passion, and creativity to shape and evolve this position over the next few years.
- Work/life balance: If you work extra hours, you get time off. If your kid is sick, take the time you need. We’re looking for caring humans with big hearts, so we owe you the same.
- Small team; many hats: As a small core team of three staff members, we share the load when the unexpected happens or there’s a time crunch. So bring your flexibility and a sense of humour.
- We’re here for members: That’s a literal statement. We’re very flexible about work hours, family needs, and work-from-home days. But it’s important to note that you can’t excel in this role without frequent and continual presence exploring and building relationships in the BIA.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Four years of professional experience with a strong track record of performance in similar positions and/or freelance projects.
- Excellent English language writing, speaking, and grammar skills are absolutely required. Please provide links to samples of your work in your e-mail cover letter.
- A university degree – or a college diploma in relevant discipline(s) with strong experience.
- Solid digital media tool and software skills. Please highlight your level of proficiency with office, web, social automation, graphics, and/or CRM tools.
Not required, but very helpful:
- French language skills aren’t needed every day, but can be helpful.
- Personal experience working or living in Hintonburg / Wellington Village area.
- Photography, Web design, and/or layout skills.
- Experience in retail, restaurant, or property management industries.
- Any special training or expertise with HubSpot and/or WordPress.
- Any previous work with another BIA, business association, or municipality.
Please send résumé with e-mail cover letter to email@example.com
All applications must be received before 5 p.m. on Monday, November 22, 2021.
Only PDF attachments please:
Please include your full name in all file names. (Tip: because it’s really easy to lose a file called “MY-RESUME.PDF” or “BIA-JOB.PDF” in a folder full of applicants).