We’re hiring a BIA Operations Administrator
The Wellington West Business Improvement Area is looking for a new BIA Operations Administrator to complete our small office team. Please apply now if this sounds like you:
You’re a confident and detail-oriented organizer with a gift for getting things done.
With clear communication and problem-solving, plus a healthy balance of self-motivation and good humour, you love shepherding projects and engaging your teammates as you move from concept to completion.
Working with our executive director and marketing manager on a small team of three, your job will be to help us execute on the projects and programs we undertake. You’ll take the lead on building the processes, technology, and policies we need, and you’ll build strong working relationships with merchants, community, and the City.
Every year we undertake dozens of community-building projects big and small with many contractors and service providers, ranging from public art, street maintenance, and urban place-making, to research and data collection and advocacy projects, and you’ll be an integral part of all of them. You’ll help us set up budgets, develop contracts and track invoices.
You’ll also be the keeper of our Board and Committee procedures, as well as helping us respond to the ongoing needs of our member merchants, City officials, contractors, and community partners.
Sound like an important role? It is! Sound challenging? Absolutely!
If that sounds like your kind of work, read on!
What we’re offering
- Full-time, permanent position.
- Salary: $45,000-$50,000/a. – salary commensurate with experience.
- Vacation: 2 weeks paid vacation, plus additional time off during our December Holiday closure.
Your qualifications and skills:
- Professional experience: 3-5 years minimum with a strong track record of delivering results in comparable roles.
- Communications: strong, clear writing skills and the ability to organize information into letter, emails, and reports are absolutely critical to this role.
- Mastery of digital tools: as an administrator in a fully digital office, your digital, technical, and online administration skills go well beyond basic email and office software.
- Budget tracking: you’ll help us build our budget processes and track our spending and invoices against them, so please tell us about any financial, budgeting, and/or spreadsheet skills.
- Education: a university degree or college diploma are strongly preferred.
- French skills are helpful – but note that our office operates primarily in English.
- Strong community engagement: our staff cares deeply about this place. Tell us what you love about Hintonburg and Wellington Village, and how you can help us build stronger ties with community partners
What you’ll organize for us:
- Project organization: you’ll be the key accountability point keeping track of the details and making sure agreements are clear and invoices get paid.
- Office operations: you’ll help us organize and run our office calendar, event-promotion, file management, member directory, and customer relations systems.
- Board & Committee relations: you will be the key liaison for our Board and three committees, so you’ll take charge of scheduling, corresponding, and taking minutes for 3-4 meetings per month.
- Merchant relations: you’ll build a vast network of contacts as a first point of contact and front-line resource, serving our 600+ member shops, restaurants, and offices.
- Budget tracking & payments: you’ll help us with finances to process invoices, manage contracts and documents, and deal with a range of suppliers from media to creative agencies, charity partners to landscapers.
- Street maintenance & placemaking: you’ll work with our contractors to remove graffiti, maintain our planters, and inventory street furniture, and you’ll help us plan improvements and public art projects.
- Mutual support for BIA office team: as part of our small BIA office team, we all wear many hats, so we chip in together on day-to-day tasks, occasionally fill staffing gaps, and/or assist with other BIA projects as needed.
To apply, please follow these instructions:
- Send email to email@example.com: include the words “OPERATIONS ADMIN:” and your name in the subject.
- Attach cover letter AND résumé as separate PDF files – or even better, as one single PDF. We won’t be storing your email, so if you have important information, make sure it’s part of a PDF.
- Important: make sure your name appears in the file name of every attachment (e.g. use a name like “Jane-Doe-CV.pdf” not “MyResume.pdf” or “BIA.pdf”).
- Apply BEFORE NOON on Wednesday, October 14, 2020. But please don’t wait! We will start contacting candidates of interest for short Zoom conversations as soon as possible, even before the deadline.
One final tip: we are much more interested in learning how you approach and organize complicated projects than we are in impressive job titles. So please use your cover letter to tell us how you organized that successful neighbourhood sleigh ride, community garden, or charity concert in addition to all the usual resume stuff!
Wellington West BIA is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applicants of all genders, ethnicities, and social backgrounds. Thank in advance for your interest, but we will only contact those who will be invited for interviews.