We’re hiring an Office & Membership Coordinator
ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF: ½ TIME, PERMANENT POSITION
The Wellington West Business Improvement Area is looking for a new Office & Membership Coordinator. For this administrative staff position, we’re seeking a highly organized people-person with strong communication, software, and administrative skills to help us serve our member merchants and keep our small Wellington Street West office organized, friendly, and responsive to our members and community.
So, if you are looking for a fast-paced opportunity and like the idea of meeting and working with hundreds of local businesses and community leaders, this job is for you!
What we’re offering:
- Part-time, permanent position: 20 hours per week – times and days negotiable.
- Salary: $23,560/a.
- Reporting to: Executive Director, under oversight of Executive Committee of the WWBIA Board.
- Vacation: 2 weeks paid vacation, plus additional paid week over December Holidays.
What you will gain experience with:
- Office administration: you’ll help us organize and run our office calendar, event-promotion, file management, member directory, and customer relations systems.
- Board & Committee relations: you will be the key liaison for our Board and three committees, scheduling, corresponding, and taking minutes for 3-4 meetings per month.
- Merchant relations: you’ll build a vast network of contacts as a front-line resource for our 550 member shops, restaurants, and offices. You’ll greet them when they visit, field e-mail or phone questions, and work with them to coordinate projects and promotions.
- Light bookkeeping: you’ll help us with finances to process invoices, manage contracts and documents, and deal with a range of suppliers from media to creative agencies, charity partners to landscapers.
- Event coordination: you’ll have fun and work hard helping us juggle lots of small events, receptions, promotions, and consultations, as well as being a key logistical force behind larger events like TASTE of Wellington West.
- Urban planning & local government: you’ll be involved with dozens of partnerships, projects, and consultations, and you’ll get to know intimately how the City of Ottawa works.
- Support for BIA office team: as part of our small BIA office team, the successful candidate will also be expected to lend their enthusiastic help to other members of the staff with day-to-day tasks, occasionally fill staffing gaps, and/or assist with other BIA projects as needed.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Education: a college certificate or university degree
- Experience: a strong track record of work, training, and/or volunteering in comparable positions
- Communications: excellent writing and grammar skills are absolutely required. Additional design, retail, software, or marketing skills would also be helpful to mention.
- Comfort with digital platforms: let us know about any professional experience with social and web platforms.
- Bookkeeping skills: we need someone who is proactive and well organized. Spreadsheet software knowledge is a definite plus.
- Strong community knowledge: in particular, involvement with Hintonburg and Wellington Village merchants, issues, and community partners would be very helpful.
- Bilingual skills a helpful asset – but not mandatory. Our organization operates mainly in English.
To apply: send résumé with e-mail cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ensure: Only PDF files please, which must include your name in the file name (i.e. “Resume.pdf” will be rejected)
Deadline: all applications must be received BEFORE 8:00 a.m. Tuesday, February 18, 2020. (But earlier is better, as we will start contacting candidates as soon as we can.)
Wellington West BIA is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applicants of all genders, ethnicities, and social backgrounds. Thank you in advance for your interest, but we will only contact those who will be invited for interviews.